- Location Incentive
The Korean Film Council (KOFIC) has recently launched a location incentive, which supports part of the expenses of foreign feature films and television drama series shot in Korea.
Up to 30% Cash Rebate
- KOFIC offers up to 30% cash grant on foreign audio-visual works production expenditure incurred for goods and services in Korea, with a cap of 2.6 billion KRW (approx 2.6 million USD).
The grant amount shall be determined taking into account the remaining grant program budget on the date of application.
Spend more than 2 billion KRW (2 million USD)
- 25% rebate : Shoot more than 7 days
Spend 500 million KRW (500,000 USD) ~ less than 2 billion KRW (2 million USD)
- 20% rebate : Shoot more than 3 days
Spend 100 million KRW (100,000 USD) ~ less than 500 million KRW (500,000 USD)
- Feature films and television drama series produced by a foreign production company, in which foreign capital’s participation in the production cost exceeds 80% will be eligible for this grant.
Eligible works must satisfy the following requirements:
- · Must shoot more than 3 days in Korea
- · Must spend no less than 100 million KRW (approx. 100,000 USD) in Korea for production costs as recognized by
KOFIC (these production costs are known as ’Qualifying Production Expenditure' or QPE)
- · Must receive approval from KOFIC who shall evaluate the following three factors:
- (1) the degree to which the work creates tourism and revenues ("tourism and audience creation");
- (2) the degree to which the work contributes to Korean film industry's capacities,
- (3) the extent to which the foreign producer participates in the production of the work
("foreign elements participation")
- A corporation organized and registered as a business in Korea
- All year round
- 2012 : Urban Games(Chinese feature film), Beyond the Border(American feature film)
- 2011 : Hakuji no Hito(Japanese feature film ), Rainbow Rose(Japanese TV series),
On the Road(Chinese feature film)
- 2013 KOFIC Location Incentive
- 2013 Standard for Qualifying Production Expenditure